Monday 28 February 2011

REVIEW: Love Never Dies

It's been a long wait but here it finally is, my review for Love Never Dies!





I went to see it 2 weeks ago on a Saturday matinee performance at the Adelphi Theatre and was incredibly surprised at how different it was to how I expected. Here's a clip of some of the sings/parts, with Ramin Karimloo (who I saw! <3) singing, he is AMAZING not even theatre trained, started off in a rock band! It's not long but gives you a feel of the show :)



Being an avid Theatre Fan, especially of musicals (it's the only thing I have on my ipod and listen to whilst working) I have of course already seen Phantom of The Opera, the story before Love Never Dies and it is MY FAVOURITE show of all time, it's a classic, has everything and Andrew Lloyd Webber's definitely the reason it is one of longest running musicals in London, and is still NO1 with ticket sales.


Also I have had the Love Never Dies Soundtrack since it's release last summer, and already know all the words to the songs, and most of the storyline from the songs.


This was a good thing as I really felt in with the show when I watched it but also it has so many changes from the CD that I was shocked at some parts, lyrical changes and character changes.

It did definitely keep the suspense up for me, as it seems to have has many changes since the opening night, but all definitely for the better!!

The main change was the beginning, they completely cut out the first 3 songs, all the Prologue, so that it starts with 'Till I hear you Sing' at the 'start' rather than all the back story and Prologue which is set at the end of the show.


I think this was a really clever choice as although I loved the prologue ( in the same format as the beginning of Phantom) song it did make the beginning of the show slow going and did not leave the storyline a mystery.
This way the twist at the end can be kept a surprise and leaves the option for a couple of different culprits!

They even went as far to set the way for the audience to think that it will be Madame Giry that sets up the twist at the end, by removing Meg's anger toward Christine in the song 'Dear old Friends', redoing 'Madame Giry Confronts the phantom as couplet between Meg and Madame Giry, and setting up suspicious little things like her going into the Phantoms workshop and picking up the gun.....

The main reason for Raoul, Christine and Gustave going to America was also changed, instead of going to close Mr Y's (Phantom's) Phantasma, they were invited by Mr Hammerstien (MR.H) to sing at the Manhattan Opera House, then the Phantom blackmails Christine with Gustave's safety, to come and sing.
This fits in better with the suspense, and the song 'Dear old Friends' as otherwise Meg and Madame Giry would of been aware that Christine was coming to Coney Island.



Seriously fits in better with the storyline, and songs , and really creates more drama at the end as it is such a shock and you really feel for both Christine and Meg. I think the lack of sympathy was one of the main problems that they encountered before the changes were made , but it definitely wasn't a problem now...

I COULDN'T STOP CRYING !

The scenery was amazing,  I could not believe how marvelous the set was... really has moved with new technical ability and although so modern, still fit the time perfectly!
The Cast was marvelous, especially Sierra Boggess(Christine) Ram,in Karimloo (Phantom) who just worked marvelously together.

If you have the chance to see it....GO!!! Because love never dies!!!!

I was so glad that they were nominated for so many awards at the Whats On Stage award including Ramin getting best Musical Actor, gthey are nominated for many more at the Olivier awards this month!

If you want any more info or want to chat about anything musical I'd love to just add me on Twitter!








And I have Definately used the word Definately too much in this post. Definately.

Hope you enjoyed my review!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts and queries...