Wednesday 16 February 2011

REVIEW: Frankenstien at the National Olivier

Friday night I went to one of the preview showings of Frankenstein at the National Olivier in London.

Before you all cry that you are unable to get to London and see it and curse at me from your pc screens I have some news....

 National do this amazing thing called NTlive wihch means they broadcast it across the UK and US  and Europe via cinemas, they are doing many of Fankenstein and I may go see it again! have a loook, its not expensive and you can pick which role you see, ie:which one oyu want with their kit off! I I would defiantly recommend it, scorll down on the Frankenstien link to see)

I love living so close to London, It took 35 mins to drive in from my house, probs because it was a really quiet time but it never takes more than 1 hour.

It is a new adaption of the original Mary Shelly Novel by Nick Dear and produced by Danny Boyle...
Yes, the same man who did Slum dog millionaire and 28 Days Later <3

Of course it was going to be good, it had Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller in it.

 but it wasn't good.

It was .................OUT OF THIS WORLD!
As you may know, the part of the creature and Victor Frankenstein were being played by both actors and swapped for each performance, they had released this info, but as it was a preview they would not release who was playing which part so i was in complete suspense until the start.

I have never been to the Olivier Theatre before, although have been to the Southbank many times, and it is THE BEST theatre in London, amazing view from wherever you sit, almost like an auditorium and it has a HUUUUGE Drum stage which most actors would get lost in.
The play itself was absolutely amazing, the best I have EVER seen and sure to pick up much recognition and awards after the Press and Opening night.

WARNING SPOILERS

Ok before I start babbling on about it, I must say that only 4 seats to my right was sitting DANNY BOYLE himself....EEK! was so amazing and Nick Dear was sitting behind him taking notes!

The Scenery and stage production was amazing, the ceiling was completely miscellaneous light bulbs which were used throughout the play for sunlight/flashes. The drum stage revoled and raised up, and sunk down , it rained on stage, they rolled grass out, Yes it was truly IMMENSE.

When you enter the theatre the Creature is already on stage inside a 'womb' of two skin like sheets in a loop and is revolving on the stage, you can see the body press on the 'skin' and when the play started it became dark red and he was 'born' out of it.
This is when we found out that our 'creature' for the night was Jonny Lee Miller.

Although there has been raving about BC (Benedict Cumberbatch) and I am a complete fan and love him, I thought Jonny lee miller was a breathtaking creature and I completely lost myself in his acting.
He is naked for the first 20/30 mins of the play, because it is very close to the original story and the creature could not be born in clothing, it just wouldn't suit the story or style of production at all. Yet it was not awkward at all, you completely go past the fact there is a naked writhing man on the stage and get engrossed in the character.

Benedict was an awesome Victor, LOVE LOVE LOVED his costume, tight trousers, high boots, tweed cape with fur collar, very his style and he played the complexity of the part so well.

They were such a good team that I could not see how it could of worked with any other pair, they elled and conflicted just as the creature and it's creator should.

There was a few scary moments, first when Victor and his wife Elizabeth are in the bedroom and he leaves after a conversation to kill the creature then as he shuts the door the creature springs forth from the bed which had been on stage all along!

I screamed.


The second was when the creature horrifically raped Elizabeth then when Victor came back into the room, put her body between his legs, held her head and twisted her neck until it clicked and she fell limp.

Once again  I screamed.

I would love to see it again but with the roles vreversed as I am curiosu how Benedict would paly the creature and vice versa but it is SOLD OUT :( I am going to see if there are any NT LIve performances near me,and if it will be released on DVD as the National do this alot.

Yeah, I probably need to end it there, otherwise I will babble on for HOURS, although I could not speak for the rest of the night after seeing it, just toooo intense.

Another review post on Love Never Dies Tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts and queries...